The daily gossip: Kim Kardashian dodges Kanye's trail, Lady Gaga suggests Patrizia Reggiani sent flies after her, and more
Today's top entertainment and celebrity news
Kim Kardashian reportedly changed vacation destination to avoid Kanye West
Kim Kardashian is apparently now secretly tweaking vacation plans because her estranged husband Kanye West might show up uninvited. Page Six reports West has been "deliberately showing up" places Kardashian will be, even though he's now dating Uncut Gems actress Julia Fox. This includes on New Year's Eve, when he went to Miami reportedly because he thought Kardashian would join her boyfriend Pete Davidson there at his show with Miley Cyrus. But Page Six also reports Kardashian originally planned to go on vacation with Davidson in the Dominican Republic until West "got wind of it and was talking about showing up there too," so she "secretly changed the destination to the Bahamas." Fox recently wrote in Interview magazine about her romance with West, saying she's "loving the ride" — but Page Six's sources allege the relationship is just a "ploy to get under ex Kim Kardashian's skin."
Lady Gaga suggests Patrizia Reggiani sent 'large swarms of flies' to follow her
Be afraid. Be very afraid. Lady Gaga chatted with W magazine about playing Patrizia Reggiani in House of Gucci, and she recalled the bizarre moment she knew it was time to let go of the character: when she became convinced Reggiani was sending swarms of flies after her. "On the last day of filming, I was on the balcony of my apartment in Rome, and I was blasting Dean Martin singing 'Mambo Italiano,' and I had a cigarette hanging out of my mouth," Gaga said. "I was Patrizia. But I knew I had to say goodbye to her: Large swarms of flies kept following me around, and I truly began to believe that she had sent them. I was ready to let her go." Gaga has previously detailed her intense method acting process, even having a psychiatric nurse on the set. Apparently, some fly repellent also would have been useful.
The Oscars will bring back a host after last year's ratings catastrophe
And this year's Oscars host is … somebody! ABC revealed Tuesday the Academy Awards will actually have a host this year, for the first time since 2018. The recent streak of host-free events began in 2019, when comedian Kevin Hart stepped down due to controversy over homophobic jokes and tweets. In the end, some pundits preferred not having a host and the ratings went up, so the Oscars stuck with the format. Perhaps the Academy now hopes bringing back a host will generate more interest after 2021's show was a complete ratings disaster. So who might the Academy hire? It's not clear, although Spider-Man: No Way Home star Tom Holland was recently asked if he would do it. He initially said he didn't think he'd have time, only to backtrack, saying, "What kind of f---ing idiot wouldn't host the Oscars? So yeah, if they ask me to, I would, and it would be very fun."
'Spider-Man' director working on a new 'Final Destination'
The man behind Spider-Man: No Way Home wants to make us all terrified of everyday objects once again. Jon Watts, director of No Way Home, is set to produce a new relaunch of the Final Destination horror franchise at New Line Cinema. He reportedly came up with a story treatment for this sixth installment, which we're assuming is just a list of ways various objects might kill people. Final Destination, of course, follows a group of characters who in each movie narrowly escape death, only to later die in hilariously elaborate, Rube Goldberg-esque ways. The horror series may be able to cheat franchise death, though it apparently can't cheat the streaming revolution, considering The Hollywood Reporter says it will be an HBO Max original film.
Dylan Minnette defends himself against 'everyone absolutely demolishing me' for underdressing
Don't you know the wardrobe rules?! Dylan Minnette is defending himself after getting thoroughly roasted for his casual attire at a recent event for the new Scream movie. "To everyone absolutely demolishing me for 'underdressing' to the 'Scream premiere red carpet' … it wasn't a premiere," the 13 Reasons Why star tweeted. "Our premiere was (sadly) cancelled. Of course I would've dressed for the occasion of a premiere sillies!!" Instead, Minnette clarified images of him on a red carpet were just from a "standard press junket day where there's no pressure on a dress code." It did make for an awkward image, though, when he appeared in a sweater and jeans while his co-stars showed up in suits. But Minnette said he had "no idea there would be a red carpet" at all, which we're hoping turns out to be some sort of hazing ritual on the original cast's part.