Tottenham Hotspur vs. PSV Eindhoven
- What: Champions League group B matchday four
- When: Tuesday 6 November
- Where: Wembley Stadium, London
- Kick-off: 8pm (UK time)
- TV channel: live on BT Sport 2
The 2-2 draw against PSV in Holland two weeks ago has left Tottenham facing possible early elimination from the Uefa Champions League.
After three matches Spurs are bottom of group B with just one point, the same as PSV. If Inter Milan win against Barcelona tonight and Spurs fail to beat the Dutchmen at Wembley then the Premier League side will be unable to qualify for the last-16.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Following the disappointing draw in Holland on 24 October, Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino said: “If we need to blame someone, it is ourselves. We only have one point. It will be very difficult. We need to win the three games we have to play and also have some results that help us.
“When you compete at that level against Inter Milan or PSV, of course Barcelona, it is not easy to go to the next stage of the Champions League and qualify.”
Group B permutations
In tonight’s group B matches Inter play Barca at the San Siro and Tottenham host PSV at Wembley (both 8pm starts).
Uefa.com explains who can qualify and who can be knocked out this evening. Only the top two teams can qualify from the group.
- Barcelona will be through as group winners with victory against Inter
- Inter will be through with a win if the other game is drawn
- Spurs will be unable to finish in the top two if they fail to win and Inter gain victory
- PSV will be unable to finish in the top two if they fail to win and Inter gain victory
Team news and starting XIs
Tottenham team news
BT Sport reports that goalkeeper Hugo Lloris is suspended after his red card against PSV two weeks ago. As for who takes Lloris’s place in goal Spurs boss Pochettino says he has three options: Michel Vorm, Paulo Gazzaniga and Alfie Whiteman.
Mousa Dembele joins fellow midfielders Eric Dier and Victor Wanyama on the injury list. Defenders Jan Vertonghen and Danny Rose are also out.
However, the BBC says that England midfielder Dele Alli trained yesterday and could be fit for tonight’s clash.
PSV team news
Ryan Thomas remains out of action but PSV should be able to call upon Steven Bergwijn. He missed the draw with Spurs but played 84 minutes at the weekend.
Possible starting XIs
How the teams could line up at Wembley tonight, according to talkSPORT:
- Tottenham possible starting XI: Gazzaniga, Trippier, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Son, Alli, Eriksen, Kane
- PSV possible starting XI: Zoet, Dumfries, Schwaab, Viergever, Angelino, Rosario, Hendrix, Lozano, Pereiro, Bergwijn, De Jong
TV and live stream details
Matchday four fixtures and TV guide
Tuesday 6 November (8pm UK time unless stated)
- Group A: Monaco vs. Club Brugge (5.55pm, live on BT Sport 1); Atletico Madrid vs. Borussia Dortmund (live on BT Sport Extra 2)
- Group B: Inter Milan vs. Barcelona (live on BT Sport ESPN); Tottenham Hotspur vs. PSV Eindhoven (live on BT Sport 2)
- Group C: Red Star Belgrade vs. Liverpool (5.55pm, live on BT Sport 3); Napoli vs. Paris Saint-Germain (live on BT Sport Extra 3)
- Group D: Porto vs. Lokomotiv Moscow (live on BT Sport Extra 5); Schalke vs. Galatasaray (live on BT Sport Extra 4)
Wednesday 7 November (8pm UK time unless stated)
- Group E: Benfica vs. Ajax (live on BT Sport Extra 3); Bayern Munich vs. AEK Athens (live on BT Sport Extra 2)
- Group F: Lyon vs. Hoffenheim (live on BT Sport Extra 4); Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk (live on BT Sport 3)
- Group G: CSKA Moscow vs. Roma (5.55pm, live on BT Sport ESPN); Viktoria Plzen vs. Real Madrid (live on BT Sport ESPN)
- Group H: Valencia vs. Young Boys (5.55pm, live on BT Sport 1); Juventus vs. Manchester United (live on BT Sport 2)
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.