A free daily digest of the biggest news stories of the day - and the best features from our website
Thank you for signing up to TheWeek. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Spurs intend to make a second bid for Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon but The Sun warns that the teenage sensation could cost them “an astronomic £50million”.
The Lilywhites were first linked to the 17-year-old defender over the summer, but the Cottagers refused to do business because they want to milk Sessegnon for every penny they can.
The young left-back has recently signed a new deal at Craven Cottage but Spurs scouts have been watching him perform in the Championship. According to the Sun, they plan to get him “when the time is right, possibly in January”.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Fulham are aware of Tottenham’s ongoing interest in Sessegnon. Rumours are that the club will agree a sale but only if their £50m asking price is met.
That will put Tottenham’s resolve to the test given Sessegnon’s tender age and the fact the club isn’t rolling in cash due to their costly renovation of White Hart Lane.
But they may decide to splash the cash rather than risk losing the teenage blocker to Manchester United, who are also known to have checked out Sessegnon in recent months.
Another youngster on Tottenham’s radar is 19-year-old Everton striker Ademola Lookman.
The Liverpool Echo claims that the north London outfit are “plotting a move” for Lookman who, having broken into the senior team last season, has slipped down the pecking order since the arrival at Goodison Park of Wayne Rooney.
So far he’s started only Everton’s Europa League matches. Lookman is said to be weighing up his options on Merseyside.
Apparently Spurs are monitoring his “uncertain situation” and are encouraged in their pursuit because Lookman is a Londoner by birth and would like to return to his native city.
Real Madrid and Man Utd target Spurs star Dele Alli
Real Madrid and Manchester United both have their eyes on Dele Alli, says the Daily Express. The paper claims that the two powerhouses have elevated the 21-year-old Tottenham star to the top of their wish lists for next year.
The Spurs and England playmaker parted company with long-time representatives Impact Sports Management earlier in the month. Apparently super-agents Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola are vying to sign him to their books.
The pair are responsible for brokering some of the biggest deals in world football and the Express says they see Alli as a player who could make himself – and no doubt themselves – millions with a big-money move to Real or United.
It’s said that Alli is on no more than £60,000 a week at Tottenham, a paltry sum that could be trebled if he moved to a more financially ambitious club.
Apparently the Tottenham midfielder has been told that if he joins either Mendes or Raiola such a move could be arranged. It’s a tempting suggestion for a player who was recently rumoured to be increasingly ready to challenge Tottenham’s restrictive wage structure.
The Express, citing Spanish outlet Don Balon, says that Real president Florentino Perez is “preparing a swap deal to tempt Spurs” which is likely to see Croatian midfielder Mateo Kovacic go the other way to London.
But The Sun says that while it’s true United and Real are both circling, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is willing to up Alli’s weekly wages to £100,000 in a bid to secure his loyalty.
Levy has made it clear in recent months that the midfielder, who had a hand in two of Tottenham’s goals in their 3-2 defeat of West Ham on Saturday, is not for sale and never will be.
Mauricio Pochettino targets Barca star Andre Gomes
Have Spurs called off their pursuit of Ross Barkley and instead turned their attention to Andre Gomes?
The Daily Express believes so with the paper reporting that the Lilywhites are ready to offer Barcelona £20million in January.
The Spanish giants put Gomes on the market this summer after he failed to impress new boss Ernesto Valverde in pre-season training. There was talk of a move to Turkey last month but nothing materialised and according to the Express Tottenham are interested in signing the 24-year-old in the new year.
Such is manager Mauricio Pochettino’s enthusiasm to bring Gomes to White Hart Lane that he’s ready to take him permanently or on a loan deal, which ever is more to Barcelona’s liking.
The Express says that Pochettino is concerned his squad lacks strength in depth after their patchy start to the Premier League campaign, and £20m would be a bargain for a player of Gomes quality.
It would also, claims the Express, signal the end of Spurs interest in Everton playmaker Barkley.
First linked to the England star in the summer, Tottenham have cooled on the idea of bringing him to the Lane and Gomes is seen as a much more reliable bet.
Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo says that the Portugal ace is “receptive to a move” to north London after struggling to get regular game-time at the Camp Nou and would jump at the chance to stake a claim for a place in his country’s World Cup squad.
Meanwhile talkSPORT report that Spurs have been given a boost in their courtship of Mark Uth.
The 26-year-old, who has scored five goals in seven matches this season, is “ready to let his contract at Hoffenheim run down” so he can leave on a free transfer next summer.
Apparently the German outfit have been trying to persuade Uth into signing a new deal, but he’s rejected all advances and it’s believed he intends to sign for Tottenham at the end of this season with Pochettino known to be “a big fan”.
Dele Alli on a ‘collision course’ with Daniel Levy
Dele Alli is on what the Daily Mirror describes as a “collision course” with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as the 21-year-old begins to appreciate his true worth in the increasingly out-of-control transfer market.
The Mirror says that the young England international is “a wanted man” with several top clubs circling after his impressive displays for club and country in the past year.
Since signing for Spurs from MK Dons in 2015 for just £5million, Alli has netted 34 goals in 100 appearances. Yet despite all his goals, he’s still taking home a modest £60,000-a-week, a figure that could be easily trebled should if he move to another club.
And the Sun says that Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City are all interested in signing the playmaker with the latter particularly keen.
Sky Blues boss Pep Guardiola “is a big fan” and with Alli aware of the interest from the Etihad it’s reported that he is set for “a showdown” with Spurs chief Levy in the near future.
The fact that last month Alli split from long-time agent Rob Segal, who has nurtured his career since he was a 15-year-old, is taken as a further sign that the England star is gearing up for a confrontation with his employers.
The Mirror says that several “of the world’s biggest agencies” are hoping to become his new representatives, including super-agents Mino Raiola and Jorge Mendes.
The Sun believes Alli could soon “spark a £100m-plus transfer scramble” and like the Mirror namechecks City as possible suitors. In addition, the Sun says that Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid could also come calling.
Thomas Delaney keen to join Eriksen
There's a German flavour to Tottenham these days what with their Champions League win over Borussia Dortmund yesterday and their interest in Werder Bremen’s £13.5m-rated Danish ace Thomas Delaney.
The Sun says that Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino "wants to link the midfielder up the with countryman Christian Eriksen" as he looks to strengthen his squad in the New Year.
In recent months the 26-year-old Delaney has been linked with Everton and Burnley, and Toffees boss Ronald Koeman is said to be a particular admirer of the playmaker. But The Sun, taking its information from German outlet Weser Kurier, says that Tottenham have the edge in the race to sign Delaney on account of Eriksen.
Delaney, who is under contract with Bremen until 2021, joined the Bundesliga club last year from FC Copenhagen. He's since blossomed in Germany, scoring five goals in his last three matches for club and country, and Spurs are in the "driving seat" to secure his services next year.
He may have scored twice in the win over Dortmund but Harry Kane may need to consider his future at White Hart Lane, at least according to Phil Neville.
Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, the former England defender says Tottenham may not be big enough for a player of Kane’s stature. "He could have to leave Spurs to become that real top, top, world-class player," said Neville. "There'll always be a doubt, probably, about Harry Kane until he gets to that level."
Real Madrid were mooted as suitors last season and with the Spanish press claiming that the club are "fed up" with Karim Benzema, Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo, there could be serious interest from Madrid next year.
Serge Aurier deal set to be completed today
Never has a work permit been more eagerly awaited at Tottenham than the one approved by the Home Office yesterday.
As a result, says The Guardian, Serge Aurier "is primed to complete a £23m (€25m) move from Paris Saint-Germain to Tottenham Hotspur".
The PSG bad boy was handed suspended two-month jail sentence last year for assaulting a police officer outside a nightclub in Paris, a conviction that prevented him from entering Britain last season when the French side played Arsenal in the Champions League.
The conviction threatened to scupper Spurs' chances of landing Aurier, but the Guardian explains that a French court "downgraded Aurier's 'convertible' sentence to a fine", and the Home Office duly informed Spurs permit had been issued for the 24-year-old Ivory Coast international.
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino has been after a right-back since selling Kyle Walker to Manchester City and Aurier will be officially unveiled today.
Meanwhile the official Spurs website has announced the signing of Juan Foyth from Estudiantes.
Naturally "delighted" at the news, the official mouthpiece of the north London club says that the 19-year-old defender has signed a contract until 2022 having caught the eye of Pochettino with a series of impressive displays for the Argentina Under-20 side.
It's believed that Spurs paid £8m for Foyth, the third Spurs signing of the summer after Davinson Sanchez from Ajax and goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga from Southampton.
In time-honoured fashion, the arrival told his new club he's been a supporter "since I was a boy" and Foyth also added: "I'm very happy to be here, it's a dream for me. I also know that many young players are in the team at the moment. I think there's a wonderful project."
Sanchez signs in record £42m deal
Tottenham announced on Wednesday night that they have completed the signing of defender Davinson Sanchez from Ajax in what BBC Sport says is "a reported club record £42m deal".
The 21-year-old Colombia centre-back, who played for the Dutch club in last season's Europa League final defeat to Manchester United, has agreed a six-year deal, although it remains subject to his being granted a work permit.
The fee exceeds the £30m Spurs paid Newcastle for France midfielder Moussa Sissoko in 2016 and came just hours after the club signed goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga from Southampton.
With two signings now wrapped up this summer, Tottenham may be about to embark on a spree, claims ESPN. According to the broadcaster, Paris Saint-Germain's Serge Aurier is close to agreeing to a move to Spurs, while the North London outfit "are also set to beat the French side to the signing of Estudiantes’ Juan Foyth".
Aurier, who has been linked with Manchester United this summer, "will sign a five-year contract" – provided he wins an appeal against a conviction he received last year for assaulting a police officer in Paris.
The Daily Star says that Aurier is "hopeful" he will be successful in his appeal, which means he will no longer be barred from entering the UK, as he was in October when he couldn't play for PSG in their Champions League game at Arsenal.
PSG will pocket around €25 million from Spurs, says ESPN, which is less than they wanted originally, but the 24-year-old Ivory Coast international is regarded in some quarters in the French capital as damaged goods after a string of controversies. PSG are desperate to get shot of Aurier, particularly as they have signed Dani Alves this summer.
Spurs sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City last month and are keen on the player because Aurier is "available at around half the price they received for the England international".
Meanwhile ESPN says that Tottenham believe they have beaten PSG to the signature of central defender Foyth. The Estudiantes player was chatted up by the French club earlier in the year but he has apparently plumped for Spurs after manager, and fellow Argentine, Mauricio Pochettino "got involved and spoke personally with Foyth".
Spurs transfer news: 'Crunch talks' to be held with Danny Rose
Today is the day Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy will hold what the Daily Star describes as "crunch talks" with Danny Rose about a possible exit from the club.
Chelsea and Manchester United have both been linked with the defender in recent weeks and Levy is keen to know where he stands as the transfer deadline looms.
The 27-year-old has in recent weeks been critical of Tottenham's transfer policy and even mentioned an interest in moving on. Understandably that hasn't gone down well with Levy and the Star says he and Rose "will thrash out the direction of his future during the meeting which will involve his agents".
Having sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City earlier in the summer, Levy is loath to sanction the sell of another defender and the Star says that a compromise could be agreed, "which would see the England international remain in north London until the end of this season".
As for a likely transfer fee, it's believed Spurs will demand £50m although it remains to be seen which of Chelsea and Manchester United will be the first to meet the asking price.
Elsewhere, Italian paper Corriere dello Sport reports that Spurs are close to agreeing terms with Lazio for Keita Balde Diao. The paper says that a fee of £26m has been proposed by the Italian club and that's acceptable to the north London outfit.
The striker, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has apparently gone on strike in an attempt to force Lazio to sell him to Juventus. The problem for the 22-year-old is that Juve are only prepared to offer £13m, whereas Spurs are happy to stump twice as much and Corriere dello Sport claims that the Senegal international will shortly be sold to Spurs as a result.
Finally, The Sun says that West Bromwich Albion are "ready to pull off a £30million double swoop for Tottenham pair Kevin Wimmer and Vincent Janssen".
Baggies boss Tony Pulis is confident Tottenham are ready to sell the pair and he's apparently willing to ensure that the club meets any personal terms that the duo may have.
Both have failed to make much of an impression at Spurs and centre-back Wimmer is seen by Pulis as the sort of no-nonsense defender he needs, while frontman Janssen has lived in the shadow of Harry Kane "and would give Pulis an extra attacking option".
Spurs transfer news: Pochettino confident of Barkley transfer
A bid is expected this week from Tottenham for Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, says the Daily Telegraph, although the Lilywhites still face competition from Chelsea.
Having beaten their London rivals at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, the Blues are looking to also win the race to sign the Everton playmaker despite the fact he's sidelined for three months with a hamstring injury.
For the moment, says the Daily Telegraph, Tottenham are in the driving seat with talks between the two clubs expected to take place this week.
Apparently Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is "prepared to pay £20m up front, with the possibility of a further £8m in add-ons", a healthy sum but one which could be easily exceeded by Chelsea.
According to the Telegraph, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is a long-standing admirer of Barkley and regards the 23-year-old England international "as a potential long-term signing who represents excellent value for money in the current market".
But much will depend on whether Chelsea sign Danny Drinkwater from Leicester City. He's their Plan A but if they wait too long for Drinkwater, Chelsea run the risk of Tottenham concluding a deal for Barkley.
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is quietly confident he will persuade Barkley to sign, mainly because he can offer him "better guarantees of playing time at Tottenham", as well as the opportunity to play alongside friend and international teammate Harry Kane.
The Telegraph also claims that Pochettino still has his eye on Fulham’s 17-year-old left-back Ryan Sessegnon but the Daily Mail warns Spurs that Manchester United are also stalking the teenager.
The paper says Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho might cut a deal with Fulham that would entail United buying Sessegnon but allowing him to see out the rest of the season at Craven Cottage.
Spurs set to sign Walker replacement, but end Barkley hunt
Tottenham are on the brink of making their first summer signing, reports The Guardian, with the paper claiming that the Lilywhites "have opened talks" with Ajax over the future of Davinson Sanchez.
Apparently Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is "increasingly confident" of landing the Colombian defender, who has told the Dutch side he fancies a new challenge at White Hart Lane.
If the move goes through, it will mean Spurs have finally found a replacement for Kyle Walker, the England defender who was offloaded to Manchester City for a fee the Guardian says "could reach £50m".
Pochettino has identified the 21-year-old Sanchez as the ideal complement to Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen in his defence and the deal is expected to be concluded this week.
Ajax had initially said that the South American wasn't for sale, but when they learned Tottenham were willing to offer "£25m with significant add-ons" their tune soon changed. Ajax bought Sanchez last summer from Colombian side Atletico Nacional for a mere £4m and the chance to make a huge profit 12 months later will be exploited by the Dutch outfit.
The Guardian says that Tottenham officials travelled to Amsterdam on Monday to continue negotiations with Ajax expected to settle for a final fee, including adds-on, in the region of £36m.
Meanwhile the paper also says that Pochettino has "serious interest" in the Celta Vigo midfielder Pape Cheikh, who comes with an £8m price tag, and the 20-year-old Spain Under-19 star is close to agreeing terms with the north London club.
It's perhaps no coincidence that Tottenham stepped up their interest in Cheikh on the same day it was announced that Ross Barkley is sidelined with a hamstring injury.
The Liverpool Echo says Tottenham "would be prepared to offer in the region of £20-25m" for the Everton midfielder, but that was before news broke of his latest injury, and the word from the Lane is that Pochettino has decided Barkley is not worth the risk.
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.