Arsenal transfer news: Gunners offer Serge Aurier a new start
Foul-mouthed Paris Saint-Germain defender Serge Aurier could be on his way to Arsenal, according to the Daily Express.
The 23-year-old has been suspended by the French club after an astonishing rant in which he insulted his team-mates and manager in graphic fashion and promoted coach Laurent Blanc to call him "pitiful".
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Nevertheless the Express says that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is prepared to overlook Aurier's antics and make a "shock move" for him this summer.
Taking its cue from French sports daily, L'Equipe, the Express says that the Gunners will "offer him a fresh start" in the wake of the latest controversy. Aurier's suspension is his second in less than a year: he was banned for three matches bu Uefa in 2015 for criticising a referee.
Meanwhile, the Express also reports comments by Ajax midfielder Riechedly Bazoer in Dutch paper De Telegraaf that appear to rule out a move to the Emirates in the summer. Arsenal, along with Chelsea, have been linked with the 19-year-old in recent months, but the Dutch playmaker told De Telegraaf: "I am very happy at Ajax... the coach believes in me and I have a contract with the club until 2020. I am not thinking about other clubs yet.”
Arsenal transfer news: legend urges Ozil to join Barcelona
The prospect of Mesut Ozil leaving Arsenal for Barcelona has been raised again after Germany legend Lothar Matthaus told his compatriot he should head to the Camp Nou.
Ozil has been linked with "a shock move" to Barcelona recently, says Metro, and the paper claims the Spanish outfit will "officially enquire about his availability" when they play Arsenal in the Champions League next week.
It's believed the 27-year-old playmaker is stalling on signing a new deal with the Gunners and Matthaus thinks he should exit the Emirates in the summer. "It would surely be a gain for him," said Matthaus, who won 150 caps for Germany. "Barcelona simply is the cream of the crop, especially when it comes to attacking strategies."
It looks as if goalkeeper David Ospina has finally got the message, with The Sun reporting that the Colombian gloveman "is ready to quit" the Emirates this summer.
Ospina, who arrived at the Gunners in 2014, after an impressive World Cup campaign, has never recovered his reputation after his gaffe earlier in the season cost Arsenal victory against Olympiakos in the Champions League.
With Petr Cech nailed down as No1, the South American with the slippy hands is set to leave London, with the Sun reporting that Arsene Wenger "will not stand in Ospina's way... and would demand a fee of around £5million".
Arsenal transfer news: Leroy Sane to replace Mesut Ozil
Never knowingly undersold in the hyperbole stakes, The Sun is on top form in reporting the latest news concerning Leroy Sane.
While he's been linked with Manchester City in some quarters, the 20-year-old Schalke midfielder is apparently wanted by both Arsenal and Barcelona. What's more, The Sun claims the pair "are set to go to war" over the £27.6m-rated star.
Reports from Spain say Barca had their scouts running the rule over Sane in action against Mainz last Friday, which will worry Arsene Wenger, who is desperate to lure the attacking midfielder to the Emirates.
The Arsenal boss wants Sane to replace the ageing Thomas Rosicky. He may have an even bigger role to play as rumours continue to circulate that Mesut Ozil might be heading back to Spain in the summer, with Barcelona his likely destination.
Talking of getting carried away, the Daily Express claims Zlatan Ibrahimovic has "hinted" he could be on his way to Arsenal. The Paris Saint-Germain striker, in the final months of his contract with the French champs, was asked after the defeat of Chelsea on Tuesday about his future plans.
"I have another three months here," he replied. "Big things will happen. Let's just say I am in shape."
The Express takes that as meaning he could be Emirates-bound, though the Daily Telegraph reports that if Ibrahimovic is heading anywhere, then it's to Manchester United.
Arsenal transfer news: Carrick and Kante to bolster midfield
Fourth time lucky for Arsenal? Arsene Wenger will be hoping so as the Daily Mirror reports that the Nutty Professor is "ready to make a fourth attempt to sign Michael Carrick".
Apparently the Manchester United midfielder, who is a free agent at the end of this season, has three times turned down advances from the Gunners over the years. But that won't stop Wenger coming again in the summer with the Arsenal boss appreciating - thanks to the performances this season of Petr Cech - the benefits of cool experience.
At the ripe old age of 34, Carrick is considering his options for next season, and though rumours have suggested a move Stateside to the lucrative MLS, the Mirror says he could be persuaded to join Arsenal. The paper says there is "no offer of a new [contract] yet on the table" at Old Trafford and consequently an approach from Arsenal in the coming weeks could make up Carrick's mind.
The Gunners nicked all three points against Leicester City on Sunday, and could they now be about to try and nick the best player on the pitch? The Metro says Foxes midfielder N'Golo Kante has caught the eye of Arsene Wenger, who admitted at the weekend that he's been keeping tabs on the 24-year-old midfielder for years.
Describing Kante as "a huge force" in Leicester's team, the Arsenal gaffer is said to be "serious" about making a bid for the playmaker at the end of the season. With Tomas Rosicky and Santi Cazorla likely to be released by Arsenal in June, and Jack Wilshere's future in question because of his long-term injury problems, Wenger needs a midfield dynamo and Metro says of Kante that "Arsenal scouts will be taking a closer look at him" between now and the end of the season.
The Arsenal spies will also be out and about tonight with Metro claiming they will be watching Gent striker Laurent Depoitre when the French side play Wolfsburg in the Champions League. The Belgium international, who has netted 11 goals in 31 appearances for Gent this season, has reportedly attracted interest from Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham.
It's said the 27-year-old sharpshooter is "keen on a move to England" and Gent are likely to hold out for the highest bid in the summer.
Arsenal transfer news: Rabiot blow as Chukwueze flies in
Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser al-Khelaifi will reportedly have a guest at the Parc des Princes tonight for the visit of Chelsea in the Champions League, and it could spell bad news for Arsenal.
According to the Daily Express, AC Milan president Erick Thohir is expected to fly into Paris today to discuss a deal for PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot, who has spent most of his career on the brink of a move to the Emirates. The news, says the paper, is a "huge blow" for Arsene Wenger who has been tracking the 20-year-old midfielder since he was a callow teenager.
There were reports that the Gunners almost clinched a deal for Rabiot last month, but now it seems AC Milan have stolen a march on Arsenal. The Express claims that Al-Khelaifi and Thohir will "try to establish whether a move to Italy can be agreed", with Rabiot allegedly keen to kickstart a career that has stalled this season with PSG.
However, one youngster who will be joining the Gunners is Samuel Chukwueze, who on Monday confirmed he was about to jet to the British capital to sign a deal with Arsenal. The talented young frontman, a star for Nigeria Under-17 in the age group World Cup last summer, told AfricanFootball.com: "My trip to London is on Monday night. I'm happy that everything is going well and I will do my best when I get there by the grace of God."
Metro says Chukwueze has obtained his British entry visa last week and will likely be loaned out for the next couple of seasons to gain experience of English football.
Arsenal transfer news: Ozil rejects new deal as Barcelona wait
Arsenal fans still celebrating Sunday's stunning last-gasp win over Leicester, have been brought back down to earth by The Sun, which has some bad news for the Gunners concerning Mesut Ozil.
Apparently the German midfielder "has rejected a contract extension" with Arsenal because "Barcelona are eyeing up" a move.
Taking Spanish rag Marca as its source, the Sun says that the 27-year-old Ozil - who looked lacklustre in the 2-1 win over the Foxes - is "not keen on committing himself to the club". Ozil arrived at the Emirates from Real Madrid and though he's enjoyed a better season this term than last year, rumours continue to suggest he's open to a move back to Spain.
Still in Spain where the newspaper Don Balon claims that the Gunners have been spying on Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. The 21-year-old has been in lively form between the sticks this season while on at Real Valladolid, and Arsene Wenger has had his scouts watch the gloveman on a couple of occasions.
The only problem is that Real Madrid are also monitoring Arrizabalaga, although if they don't get their transfer ban lifted Arsenal will have first dibs at the youngster at the end of the season.
Arsenal transfer news: Wenger wants French starlet Tolisso
He's young, he's versatile and he's French, so Arsenal must surely be interested in him. That's the message from Metro, which says the Gunners are "keeping an eye on the progress" of Lyon star Corentin Tolisso.
The paper has been encouraged in its speculation by French sports daily L'Equipe, which claims the 21-year-old player, comfortable in the centre of midfield or at right-back, is one of the most exciting and versatile youngsters in the French game.
Apparently he has "caught the eye" of a number of top European clubs, but Arsene Wenger is believed to be weighing up an offer "in the summer".
The Gunners may not have seen the last of fumbling Polish gloveman Wojciech Szczesny as the Daily Express reports the stopper will return to the Emirates this summer, after spending the season on loan with Italian outfit Roma. The claim was made by Polish FA chief Zibi Boniek, who said that while the Italian club have been impressed with 25-year-old Szczesny, the Gunners don't want to make the move permanent and believe that given more time, their cack-handed keeper can come good.
"Many Premier League clubs are also interested, but there might be another year on loan at Roma for him," said Boniek, "perhaps after signing an extension with Arsenal."
Arsenal transfer news: Carvalho commits to Sporting Lisbon
Arsenal fans have more hope of seeing Jack Wilshere (remember him?) play a full 90 minutes than they have of welcoming William Carvalho to the Emirates, after it was announced the 23-year-old has signed a new contract to keep him at Sporting Lisbon until 2020.
As International Business Times reports, Arsenal have long been linked with the midfielder. It was reported in some quarters they would sign him this summer, once he'd proven his fitness from the leg break he suffered last year.
But not only has the Portugal international penned a long-term contract with Sporting, he's also had inserted a new buyout clause that stipulates he can only be sold for €45m (£35m).
And there's more gloom for the Gunners in the Daily Star with the paper saying they now "face a battle with AC Milan for midfield ace Vincent Koziello".
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger had sent scouts to check out the Nice youngster - dubbed "the new Xavi" - earlier this season, but if he thought he had a clear run at the 20-year-old playmaker, he'll have to think again. The Star says Inter have also had their spies in the south of France and are poised to table a bid in June.
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.