Man Utd transfer news: Wayne Rooney is not leaving United
Wayne Rooney's China crisis is over with the United captain and record goal-scorer issuing a statement pledging his future to Old Trafford.
The Guardian, one of numerous outlets to cover the story, said that although Rooney's agent, Paul Stretford, has been in China this week speaking to interested clubs, the player himself has decided to remain with United. "Despite the interest which has been shown from other clubs, for which I'm grateful, I want to end recent speculation and say that I am staying at Man United," said Rooney. "I hope I'll play a full part in helping the team in its fight for success on four fronts. It's an exciting time at the club and I want to remain a part of it."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
All the fuss was about nothing, says the Daily Star, as Stretford was actually in China on another business matter and that Rooney never had any intention of making the move because he's "got a young family to consider, and uprooting them for China at short notice didn't appeal".
Meanwhile, The Sun reports that Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira "has been in the north west to negotiate a £67.7m double deal" for Nelson Semedo and Ederson Moraes. Portuguese newspaper A Bola broke the story and they claim that Vieira is close to offloading 23-year-old goalkeeper Moraes to Manchester City and Semedo to United. Apparently the Brazilian gloveman will cost City around £33.8m, while 23-year-old right-back Semedo is likely to set United back a similar amount.
Man Utd transfer news: Wayne Rooney will 'stay until summer'
Wayne Rooney's future remains the biggest talking point at Manchester United in the wake of injuries to Michael Carrick and Henrikh Mkhitaryan in the Europa League.
The ageing striker is no more than a bit-part player at Old Trafford and manager Jose Mourinho did little to dampen speculation earlier in the week that the club's record goal scorer could be heading to China before their transfer window shuts next week.
It remains to be seen whether the manager's thinking will change in the wake of the injuries. However, The Guardian speculates that Rooney will likely see out the season with United before heading to the Chinese Premier League in the summer, and the BBC agrees although it says that the player's agent, Paul Stretford , is in China "to see if he can negotiate a deal".
One Chinese club he won't need to speak to is Tianjin Quanjian, reports Talksport, after manager Fabio Cannavaro denied reports they were close to a deal for the 31-year-old striker.
The pair have spoken in the past but Cannavaro was adamant that if Rooney does leave United in the coming days it won't be for his club. "We did make an approach for Rooney, but it was just a chat because he simply doesn't suit our style of play," he said. "No further discussion was necessary."
However, The Sun says Rooney's United teammate, Ashley Young, could be off to the Chinese Super League next week with Shandong Luneng looking to secure his signature.
The 31-year-old winger hasn't had much joy under Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford but Luneng - managed by former Fulham boss Felix Magath - are keen to wrap up a deal in the coming days.
Finally Metro says that United are on course to sign Fabinho. The 23-year-old, able to play at right-back or in central midfield, played for Monaco in Tuesday's eight-goal thriller against Manchester City in the Champions Cup.
In recent months the Brazilian has been linked with a move to Arsenal next season but Metro says Fabinho has eyes only for United. "My objective is to get to a club with the dimension of Manchester United," said the South American stopper. "I have no clue if one day I'll be a United player, but I'll keep on working so it stops being a rumour and becomes reality."
Betfair - new customer offer - bet £10 and get £10 in free bets
Man Utd transfer news: Wayne Rooney will 'move to China next week'
Wayne Rooney will "quit Manchester United next week". That's the startling claim in The Sun with the paper predicting that the United and England captain will leave Old Trafford before the Chinese transfer window closes on Tuesday.
Rooney, who last month surpassed Bobby Charlton to become the club's record goal-scorer "has a £1m-a-week offer on the table to play in China" and he's poised to accept, according to the Sun.
Having started just one game for United in their last nine, the 31-year-old knows he's no longer central to Jose Mourinho's plans and the prospect of quadrupling his current modest £250,000-a-week deal is too tempting to resist. Asked if he expected Rooney to still be at the club at the start of March, Mourinho replied: "You have to ask him... you have to ask him if he sees himself staying in the club for the rest of his career or sees himself moving."
Another day and another defender is linked to Manchester United with Benfica star Nelson Semedo the latest to be fingered as a future Red Devil.
On Tuesday it was reported that United were after Brazilian defender Lyanco but according to Talksport it's the 23-year-old Semedo who they really have their eyes on. There is a problem, however, namely Bayern Munich. The German giants are also circling the right-back and, like United, they have had their scouts watch him perform for Benfica this season.
Apparently Bayern see Semedo "as the long-term replacement for club stalwart Philipp Lahm", who retires at the end of the season, while United have identified him as a good fit at Old Trafford. Benfica are said to be "bracing themselves for summer offers" and no doubt hoping that a bidding war will break out between the two European heavyweights.
Man Utd transfer news: Brazilian youngsters on the radar
Brazilian defender Lyanco is in United's sights, says the Daily Express, and the paper reports that a "£10m deal could happen quickly" now that the 20-year-old has been targeted by the Old Trafford club.
Apparently Jose Mourinho has had his scouts run the rule over the Brazil Under-20 international, who plays for Sao Paulo, and the reports have been so favourable that the Special One is ready to pounce for the young defender as soon as the summer transfer window opens.
The 20-year-old, who can operate as a centre-back or right-back, has been linked in the past with Juventus and Atletico Madrid, but Mourinho is determined to bring the youngster to the Premier League. What's an added boon for United, says the Express, is that Lyanco "reportedly holds a Serbian passport" - a fact which would make it easier for him to obtain a work permit to ply his trade in England.
United are also said to have joined the Malcom fan-club and could rival Liverpool for the striker's signature this summer, reports Metro. The Brazilian youngster is currently with Bordeaux in Ligue 1 in France. The 19-year-old joined from Corinthians in a £5m deal last January and has six goals in 30 appearances prompting talk of Premier League interest - however, he has insisted he is focused on his current club.
Man Utd transfer news: Victor Lindelof deal finally agreed
The long-running saga of Victor Lindelof's move to Manchester United has taken another twist with reports in Italy claiming a pre-contract agreement has finally been struck with Benfica.
The news is reported by website Calciomercato, which claims that there was "a late challenge" from Roma for the hand of the 22-year-old Swedish blocker.
The Italian club are concerned that they will lose Kostas Manolas at the end of the season and had hoped to bring in Lindelof as a replacement. But Roma's 11th hour bid was to no avail and it seems that Lindelof will definitely be a United player next season after Jose Mourinho went all out to sign the Scandinavian stopper.
Meanwhile Metro reports that Michail Antonio has offered United "real hope" that they will get the green light sign him in the summer by admitting he's unsure if he'll be back at West Ham next season.
The 26-year-old winger has been linked to Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge and when asked whether he would be signing a new deal with the Hammers, Antonio said: "Nothing is really happening on the contract talks... We'll just see how things go. At the moment my head is not being swayed in any way. I just want to play my football and whatever happens happens."
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.