×
5 things you need to know now
5 things you need to know now
  • Amendment places Johnson's Brexit deal on hold

  • State Department finds no 'systemic' mishandling in Clinton email probe

  • Cease-fire violation accusations fly between Kurdish, Turkish forces

  • Giuliani reportedly sought visa for Ukrainian prosecutor

  • State of emergency declared in Santiago, Chile, following protests

U.K. Parliament passed an amendment during its first Saturday session in 37 years that required Prime Minister Boris Johnson to request a Brexit delay from the European Union. Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, said he received the request Saturday evening. The vote was tight, but ultimately a cross-party group backed the amendment by a count of 322-306. It does not necessarily mean that the MPs would not have supported the deal Johnson had brokered with the European Union on Thursday, but the government was clear that, after being defeated in the amendment vote, it would abandon a follow-up vote on the deal, as the amendment rendered it "meaningless." It appeared that Johnson was close to receiving the votes he needed to pass the deal, and he said he would move forward with Brexit legislation next week.

Source: Donald Tusk, The Guardian

The State Department found "no evidence pervasive of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information" after wrapping up its internal investigation launched in 2016 related to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of private email during her tenure. The investigators did, however, determine that 38 unidentified current and former State Department officials were "culpable" in 91 cases of sending classified information that ended up in Clinton's personal email, meaning the use of private email did increase the vulnerability of such information. Any of the 38 officials still working for the State Department could reportedly face some form of disciplinary action, while the violations will be noted in the files of all 38, and will be considered when applying for or renewing security clearances. All in all, the investigation covered 33,000 emails and found 588 violations, though it could not assign fault in 497 cases.

Source: The Associated Press, The Guardian

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces on Saturday accused Turkey of violating the cease-fire agreement orchestrated between Washington and Ankara on Thursday. The SDF said Turkish strikes killed at leas 20 civilians and 14 of its fighters in northern Syria since the deal was struck, though it reportedly couldn't be determined whether the strikes were carried bout Turkish forces or allied Syrian rebel groups. Turkish officials maintained Turkey was in compliance with the cease-fire and blamed the SDF and the YPG, a Kurdish militia, for launching mulitple attacks against Turkish troops. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also warned Saturday that Ankara would move forward with its military offensive in northern Syria if the deal was not fully implemented.

Source: The Wall Street Journal, Reuters

President Trump's personal lawyer and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani attempted to secure a visa from the State Department for former Ukraine prosecutor Viktor Shokin, U.S. diplomat George Kent reportedly told congressional investigators, two people familiar with his closed-door deposition earlier this week said. Shokin was pushed out of his position in 2016 when several world leaders, including former Vice President Joe Biden, voiced concerns that Shokin was not pursuing corruption cases in Ukraine. Giuliani has previously said he wanted to interview Shokin because he promised to reveal information about Democrats' actions in Ukraine. Giuliani has alleged without evidence that Biden was trying to stop investigations to protect his son, Hunter, who was sitting on the board of a Ukrainian gas company at the time.

Source: CNN, NBC News

A state of emergency has been declared in Santiago, Chile, after protests stemming from a hike in public transportation fares became violent Friday evening. Soldiers reportedly returned to Santiago's streets Saturday for the first time since a devastating earthquake hit the country in 2010. There reportedly is no curfew at the moment, though the government does have the power to implement one. Police have reportedly detained more than 300 people, while 156 officers have been injured, 49 police cars have been damaged, and 41 metro stations have been damaged, as the entire transport system was temporarily shut down. "We are assuming control, deploying our forces in a way that we can prevent continuing acts of vandalism and having a better sense in the morning of what is happening," Javier Iturriaga del Campo, a Chilean general said.

Source: The Guardian, Reuters
Start every morning with all you need to know
Delivered to your inbox